Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Creative Process

Everyone's creative process is so different and unique to themselves that I thought I'd share the stages and various emotions I experience while creating a painting.

At the beginning of a new painting I am always super excited to get started! I begin by sketching it out on the Gessobord and laying in colors for the under painting. As I work, I am picking out the parts that I feel need the most attention and considering where to start.

My paintings take between 25-60 hours to complete due to the amount of details I like to render. After I finish the underpainting, the excitement wears off and I'm usually overwhelmed with the amount of work ahead of me and unsure of where to start. But the best way to get anything done, is to just do it. Sometimes this part of getting started can be forced. 

I like to compare the next portion of creating to reading a really interesting book. You're so into what's happening in the story that you just can't put the book down. When I'm in the groove of a painting, I want to spend every possible moment I have working on it. As I'm beginning to see the painting come together and understand the direction in which I am working, the excitement returns and I am rejuvenated with creative energy.

While I continue to work there are points where I am second guessing the work I have made so far and or my abilities to complete the painting all together. Then, the feelings of being overwhelmed return and finding the gumption to finish is challenging. I've discovered the best way to deal with this part of the process is to take a day or two to step away from the project.

After a short breather, I'm ready to finish. As I return to the work, I gain a better perspective on how to finish the painting. My momentum usually speeds up in anticipation of seeing the final creation. The excitement returns and every moment I have, I work on the painting until I feel it is finally complete.

Below are some pictures from various stages of the creative process from past paintings. 









No comments:

Post a Comment