Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Utilizing Artwork for Agvocacy in South Jersey's Farming Industry

The artwork I create has been inspired by the agricultural landscapes of southern New Jersey since I began painting 9 years ago. At the time, I had just started dating my husband and we spent a lot of our dates on tractors in spinach and hay fields or on his four wheeler exploring his family's farm. The photographs I took from our adventures served as references for my acrylic paintings.

Fast forward to the present, I have continued to focus my subject matter on the beautiful farmlands southern New Jersey has to offer. Recently, I've come to realize that my artwork can perform an important role in the agvocacy for southern New Jersey's farming industry. What is "Agvocacy"? It is a relatively new term that is the combination of the words "agriculture" and "advocacy" which is defined as the positive promotion of agricultural industries.

I'd like my paintings and photography to serve as a platform to promote the active agricultural community in southern New Jersey. The hard work and sacrifices farmers make to grow crops needs to be acknowledged with artwork that evokes just as much of an emotional response from viewers as the farmer's physical efforts in sustaining their land. Portraying their fields, equipment, and operations in an artistic manner will help bring awareness to the often overlooked beauty that exists within farming. It is my hope that my artwork can create connections between the larger, non-farming population and the people that choose to dedicate their life to agriculture.

If you are a farmer from southern New Jersey that would like to have your land/operations photographed or created into a work of art, please email me at: kimberlydenglish@gmail.com


Wilson Brother's Farms - Daretown, NJ

Spring Brook Farms of Pittsgrove
Harvesting Spinach in Elmer

"On The Edge" - Acrylics on Gessobord - 6" x 6" by Kimberly English ©2015 - SOLD

 "Curious #601" - Acrylics on Canvas - 8" x 6" by Kimberly English © 2015

"Distant Vista on Shirley Road" - Acrylics on Gessobord - 11" x 14" by Kimberly English © 2017


2018 Salem County Farmlands Calendar






A collection of photographs by Kimberly English featuring the farmers and farmland of Salem County. $5 of each calendar sold will be donated to the Woodstown Future Farmer's of America Program. A great holiday gift that gives back to our farming community!


To view more agricultural artwork, please visit my website: www.kimberlyenglish.com

No comments:

Post a Comment