Tuesday, September 19, 2017

The Process of Commissioning a Painting

I have been receiving a lot of welcomed inquires about having a custom work of art created. Today, I wanted to share with you questions you should ask yourself when considering having a painting made and more information about the process of commissioning a painting by me.

Questions You Should Ask Yourself When Considering Commissioning a Painting

What do I want painted?
It seems like an obvious question but it is important to know what you want me to paint. This can be anything that has specific meaning to you. However, some people prefer to allow me to come to their location and get inspired by my surroundings and allow me complete control of the painting's subject matter. Below are some ideas for commissioned paintings:
  • Landscape
  • Pet portrait
  • House portrait
  • Favorite vacation photograph
  • Show hot rod
  • Farm equipment
  • Floral bouquets 
What is my budget?
Commissioning a work of art is an investment. The imagery you want painted probably has significant meaning to you (or your recipient) which is why you want to commemorate it with a one of a kind work of art. As such, I will spend 25-60 hours creating your painting to ensure I capture both the physical and emotional aspects of the imagery to the best of my ability. Your budget will determine the size (which depends on the amount of detail) and framing.

The Process of Commissioning a Painting

First, clients will either talk to me in person or fill out the fine art commission contact form on my website. From there we will meet to discuss your idea and I can come photograph the landscape, animal, truck, or tractor that will be rendered.

After I have reference pictures I will then be able to provide you with a commission agreement contract that will have a more accurate price dependent on the amount of detail to be rendered and framing preferences. The signed contract and a deposit of 50% of the painting is due before I begin.

If the client grants me permission to share behind the scenes progress on social media, they will be able to see me working their painting. If the work of art is a surprise, I can also send updates privately.

Below are some commissions from this year. Click each image to enlarge


"One of a Kind" - 8" x 10" - Acrylics on Gessobord by Kimberly English © 2017 - SOLD


"Sun-Kissed Abby" - Acrylics on Gessobord - 8" x 8" by Kimberly English © 2017

To start the commission process, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment