Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Being the Child of an Entrepreneur

Today I wanted to reflect on my experience of being child of an entrepreneur and how that has helped me to realize my potential to be one as well. When I was growing up, my mom started her own candle business in the basement of our home.  When I would get home from school, I would help by wicking the candles for her to pour. Our house always smelt AMAZING. She was super busy with home parties and she would travel to Pennsylvania, Maryland, and all parts of New Jersey. As I grew older, I would accompany her on her home shows to help carry in the candles, set up, and check out customers.

As time went on she wanted a store front and I remember spending weekends with my family driving around and touring properties. When we found the perfect location, we spent the next year renovating the store and warehouse. It was so exciting to witness her opening day!

My brother, sister, and I learned so much about demolition, construction, and what it takes to make any dream a reality. A lot of parents encourage their children to be anything they want to be. But we grew up knowing we could be anything we set our minds and hands to.

Fast forward to the present and we all have followed our dreams with our own unique careers. My brother works on a professional drag racing team with aspirations of starting his own machining business. My sister is a skydive and wind tunnel instructor as well as a graphic design small business owner. And I am a certified art teacher and professional artist with my own business. I attribute our success and unique career choices to my parent's exposing us to the reality of the hard work that is required to make our dreams come true.

Were you a child of an entrepreneur? Did you also start your own business?
I'd love to hear your story!

No comments:

Post a Comment