Thursday, July 26, 2018

My Experience Using Watercolors Again

The latest painting that I created is a portrait of my friend’s Jeep Rubicon. I am an acrylic painter by choice but I decided to create this painting using watercolor. I thought it would be fun to share the process and my experience using watercolor again.

So why did I choose to use watercolor instead of my preferred acrylics? Well, it has to do with our recent family trip. While we were on vacation in West Virginia our truck’s AC stopped working on one of the hottest days. Lucky for us, the friends we were visiting own a mechanic shop and were able to recharge our system. Instead of a payment, they asked to barter for a painting.

On our way home, we stopped at Jerry’s Artarama in Wilmington for my birthday. While I was shopping, I saw they had a half pan of Lukas Farben watercolors in stock. I’ve been thinking about trying watercolor again and thought this was the perfect opportunity! I ended up purchasing it over 50% off during their moving sale. I can’t believe I got such an amazing deal on it!

For those of you who do not paint, I'll explain some of the differences between acrylics and watercolor. Acrylics are an opaque, thicker painting medium whereas watercolors are thin and transparent. When using acrylics, you generally start by painting the darkest values first and layer the lighter values on top to create depth and volume. Watercolor, to me, is must like drawing. You start with lighter washes/values and work to the darker values.

This is the first watercolor painting I’ve done for myself (besides teaching samples) in over 10 years. I definitely had fun with it and I really enjoyed working with watercolors. Just like acrylics, they can be versatile but, obviously, in different ways. I like that I could create gradients rather easily. It also was nice to be able to work a little faster and more freely. However, I still prefer my acrylics! 

Below is the time-lapse video of the painting.




"Deb's Rubicon" - Watercolor on Paper - 8" x 10" by Kimberly English ©2018

To order your own vehicle watercolor painting, click here: http://bit.ly/2uQJRD9


No comments:

Post a Comment