Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Artistic Ability is a Skill

I truly believe everyone has an artistic ability. After all, making any type of art is a skill, that if given consistent practice, will yield better results. ✍🏻 When I am teaching and helping a student, some will say: “You make it look so easy! I wish I was talented.” And while artistic talent does run on both sides of my family, it’s the time I’ve given to my work, thousands of hours, that enables me to “make it look easy” as they say. 🎨

The most important thing of being able to draw and paint in any desired style is the ability to see how everything relates to each other. Recognizing connections between pieces of a whole object and breaking them down into shapes to render it. Take the time to really analyze what you’re looking at. And practice.

These are just some thoughts I’ve had while working in the studio this week and felt compelled to share. I’m looking forward to speaking more about art this weekend (May 18 & 19 from 10AM-5PM) during the Salem County Arts In Bloom Studio Tour.

Download tour brochures here 🗺: bit.ly/2019AIBMap



“The Salem Oak” -Acrylics on Gessobord - 6”x 6” © Kimberly English

No comments:

Post a Comment