Sunday, July 30, 2017

Painting Progression: January Blossom


This painting was inspired by a day trip I took with my cousin, Casey, to Longwoods Gardens to celebrate her birthday. It was frigid cold at the end of January 2014, but we enjoyed the tropical warmth of Longwood’s luscious greenhouses. My daughter was just 3 months old at the time and she slept through the entire walk around the greenhouses! After browsing the amazing selection of flowers and plants, we had a lovely lunch at a nearby Olive Garden. The delicious soup and bread sticks warmed us up from the bitter cold.

When choosing a reference picture, I was drawn to this flower for the color shifts within the petals and the vast shapes created by the folds and wrinkles. It was mesmerizing creating the contrasts to show the twists within the petal edges. I also believe, subconsciously, I chose this flower to paint because of the color palette. My last painting, "Distant Vista on Shirley Road", had similar colors which made creating this painting's color shifts rather seamless.

"January Blossom" - Acrylics on Gessobord - 6" x 6" by Kimberly English © 2017



No comments:

Post a Comment