Monday, August 7, 2017

Art Supply Unboxing: Ampersand Floater Frame

Today I wanted to share with my fellow artists and art enthusiasts a new product offered by Ampersand Art: The Floater Frame. I exclusively paint on Ampersand Gessobords and was ecstatic when they released their own line of frames! Their products have a beautifully smooth surface which allows me to paint meticulous details. I also love that they are made in the USA!

The floater frames are made from solid wood and come in three different finishes: white, black or maple. They also have two edge preferences: bold, which measures 3/8" wide and thin, which measures 1/4" wide. The 1-1/4" frame profile accommodates 7/8" deep artwork as well as 3/4" canvas or flat panels. The 1-7/8" frame profile accommodates 1-1/2" deep artwork (See pictures below). All of these options means they are perfect for framing every type of hard panel that Ampersand produces: Aquabord, Claybord, Encausticbord, Gessobord, Hardbord, Pastelbord, or Scratchboard. Currently, floater frames are available in these size: 8"x8", 8"x10", 11"x14", 12"x12" and 16"x20".

I purchased a black, thin 1/4" edge, 7/8" frame profile Ampersand Floater Frame from Amazon. I wanted to see the quality of the product and what was included before I bought in bulk. Below is the unboxing video of my first floater frame. I am thrilled with the quality of this product and the many options it features! I especially like the predrilled countersunk holes for mounting the artwork to the frame. I will definitely be purchasing more; however, next time I'd like to try the bold edge.


In the video I discuss the differences between the Illusions Floating Frames (which I was using previously) and Ampersand's new product.




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this Kimberly, that is exactly what I was looking for in a floater frame. Can they be used for canvas as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Glad I could help you. Yes, they can be used with 3/4" or 1.5" profile canvases!

      Delete