Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Painting Progression: Potato Harvest in Elmer

A local farmer and friend, Michael Brooks, commissioned me to create this painting. I saw online that he was having an auction of old farm equipment and I contacted him to see if I could go over before the sale to photograph some of the old trucks. He agreed and asked if I would be willing to paint one of the 1977 F600 trucks for his parents. They had bought them brand new and he wanted to preserve the memories they held on their farm.

I created the composition from many photographs of the truck at the auction and fields. Since the truck did not have a potato body on it, I used reference pictures from Ben Wilson's potato equipment, and old photos that Mike provided. I also edited the truck to make it look new again, as per Mike’s request.

This painting was a challenge because I wanted to ensure it was accurately represented to preserve their family’s farming heritage. I wanted the background to depict a typical summer day in South Jersey during a potato harvest with beautiful clear skies. The vines and ground were a lot of fun to paint including the small potatoes that didn't make it into the truck. 

Below is the painting, click the image to enlarge, and the painting progression video


"Potato Harvest in Elmer" - Acrylics on Gessobord - 9" x 12" by Kimberly English © 2017



Painting Progression Video



Special thanks to Michael Brooks for commissioning this painting, Ben Wilson for allowing me to photograph his farm equipment, Jen and Andy Williams for doing a beautiful job framing this work, and last but not least, my husband and mom for helping with the kids at various times while I worked on the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment