Saturday, May 13, 2017

Painting Progression: One of a Kind

My newest painting is a commission for a fellow artist, Abraham Warren, who I met through the Salem County Arts in Bloom Studio Tour. Abe is an amazing woodworker and avid art collector.   He contacted me to create a painting for his wife, Bonnie, as a birthday present. He gave me total freedom for the painting and allowed me to pick the subject matter, size, etc. 

Bonnie and Abe have a beautiful, unique home that exudes their personal style. I knew I wanted to use their home as inspiration for the painting because I find it so intriguing. In the fall, I coordinated a visit to take reference pictures. I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for but knew I wanted to incorporate elements of the landscape into the painting. 

I started by focusing on the buildings in the backyard where they spend much of their time together creating their woodwork. As I was photographing, I came across the handmade sign "Three words.. Two people... One feeling." that adorned their back porch. I fell in love with the sign and took several pictures of it. I framed my composition with leaves and included the chainsaws that sat on the porch railing. I continued on photographing different areas around their home. 

After I got back to my studio and began reviewing the photographs, I was instantly drawn to the pictures of the sign hanging on their back porch. I knew that was what I needed to paint. It was definitely a challenging perspective but thought it would an amazing piece to create for the Warrens.

As I worked on the painting, I thought about Bonnie and Abe and the amazing connection they share that is so evident when you are around them. The painting, I believe, illustrates not only their love for woodworking: the chainsaws and the various grains of wood; it also embodies their love and of the rich, colorful life they have built together. The leaves above the sign, shaped like hearts, and the multitude of colors of the galvanized metal and woods enhance the meaning of the painting.

"One of a Kind" - 8" x 10" - Acrylics on Gessobord by Kimberly English © 2017

Below is the video progression of the painting as well as Abe's testimonial of the commissioned piece.



Customer Testimonial 

"After seeing a variety of Kim's work, my wife Bonnie and I knew we needed a piece for our collection. At a glance, Kim's ability to capture detailed reality is mesmerizing. Upon closer examination and contemplation, her paintings seem to gain depth on all levels.

I contacted Kim to commission a gift for my wife. Being an artist myself, I approached her in the way I prefer to be approached. I offered her freedom to paint the subject of her choosing and gave her my patience... As my wife likes to say, 'Art doesn't follow a schedule'.

The finished piece is breath-taking and worth every moment of waiting. I feel it represents her best work to date, yet, I strongly believe her defining work remains tightly sealed within a tube of paint. When the right client comes along, they will remove the cap together with Kim. Who knows? Maybe the next piece we commission will be that masterpiece?!"

-Abraham Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment