Monday, May 22, 2017

Arts in Bloom Site #6

This past weekend was my 5th year exhibiting in the Salem County Arts in Bloom Studio Tour. This year was special because it was the first time I was at my house as my own site location. In previous years, I have exhibited at my workshop studio at A Whole New Light, and at Janice Chassier's Gallery Under the Oak Tree.

I began setting up my display on Wednesday. I wanted to use the display system I purchased from a Massachusetts photographer (read more about it here) inside our garage. I first had to shift things in order for the display to fit. My goal was to have the display components setup by Wednesday, hang all of the artwork and stage the setup by Thursday and tie up any loose ends (print out missing tags, price items) on Friday.  Despite the heat, everything went according to plan!

Friday evening I held a preview/opening reception event where I invited a few clients and friends to attend. It was a relaxed gathering where visitors could look at the artwork, talk, and enjoy some wine and desserts. We lounged on the straw bale couch and watched a distant lighting storm. It was the perfect way to start the weekend!

Saturday morning as I began to set up, visitors started to arrive around 9:30 AM. There was a constant flow of tour goers throughout the day including neighbors, farmers, friends, students, and art enthusiasts who I hadn't met before. I had so many wonderful conversations and even witnessed one of my paintings captivate and move someone so much, they cried. It was a powerful moment. I even sold my painting, "The Meathouse". It was an amazing day!

The day started slower on Sunday which gave me an opportunity to take some video of my set up and post on Facebook for Arts in Bloom (I am the Volunteer Social Media Coordinator for AIB). By lunchtime, visitors began to arrive and I was busy for the rest of the afternoon! I had several people return from the previous day to discuss private art lessons and commissioning a piece of artwork. Fellow Pitman Gallery & Art Center member artist, Eileen Meehan Ziegler and Ro Mansfield came to my site. They were so nice and I look forward to collaborating with them in the future! 

My aunt and cousins came down from Kennett Square to see my display. They ended up staying for dinner after the day had ended. It was the perfect ending to a successful event!

Overall, I had a phenomenal weekend! I had over 100 visitors between the two days and sales that far exceeded my expectations. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for all of the support I received! I am excited to get back into the studio and create new works of art for next year's Salem County Arts in Bloom. Special thank you to my mom and student, Audrey, for helping me throughout the week with the kids as I setup for this big event. I couldn't have done it without you!






No comments:

Post a Comment