Monday, March 5, 2018

Painting Progression: Growing Undercover

One morning in December I woke up to a beautiful winter wonderland of pristine, powdery snow. My husband was home and everyone was still sleeping so I decided to suit up in my Carhartts and muck boots. I wanted to take a walk to get reference pictures since I had yet to paint a snow landscape. I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to get some amazing photographs!

Before the sunrise, I walked down the side of my neighbor's farm fields and toward the the closest road. I found a lot of great inspiration along the way but found myself at the corner of Canhouse and Coleman Road just as the sun was beginning to crest over the hill and clouds. I was captivated with how the sunshine glistened across the fresh snow.

After I got home, I reviewed the photographs I had taken and really fell in love with the contrasting colors that appeared in snow and sky. I thought the hills in the background and high contrast undulations found in the foreground would make a dynamic painting. 

While I was working, I learned that the particular field I was painting was planted with winter wheat. As I was painting, the title came to me and I thought it would provide a level of intrigue to the viewer: What is under the snow? What could be growing in winter? I also wanted the title to illustrate that a farmer's work continues even during the bitter cold of winter.

Below is the painting along with the progression video of it's creation. 
Leave me a comment, I'd love to hear what you think!


"Growing Undercover" - Acrylics on Gessobord - 8" x 10" by Kimberly English © 2018



This painting is also available in the following products:


Pillows



Greeting Cards



2 comments:

  1. Love this! Such a beautiful luminous quality to your snowscape!👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Eileen! I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and comment. It was a challenge to paint but still enjoyable!

      Delete