Tuesday, April 3, 2018

The Problems With Painting Parties and How I Intend to Address Them

Chances are you've seen them or participated in one: painting parties. A social phenomenon that has swept the nation and social media with group pictures of finished projects.

Years ago while I was a tenured art teacher, I would search the internet to see what other art educators were doing in their classrooms and somehow through the tangled web of the internet came across studios offering these, then unheard of to the east coast, painting parties. After doing some further research, I realized that there were not many, if any, places offering them around the Tri-State Region. I thought it would be a great idea to offer them after school hours, but let's face it, as a teacher there were not many hours left in the day.

Fast forward to when I resigned from public school teaching to stay home to care for our daughter: I started my own art business and after some demand, began offering painting parties. I have met some wonderful people and shared many laughs through painting parties! I believe they are a great way to engage people in the creative process through an approachable format. However, as an art educator and professional painter, I have found some problems with painting parties:

EVERYONE is offering them as a service
Like some sort of sorcery, people are coming out of the woodworks as, ahem, "art teachers", and jumping on the bandwagon of offering painting parties because of the overwhelming demand for this social phenomenon.

It's not enough time
During these two or three hour workshops, I have found that it is not enough time for participants to learn and implement new techniques. Most of the time I have to abbreviate a certain type of painting technique to fit it into the time allowed for the workshop. While some students who have painted with me for a while can be more independent and creative, newer participants don't have the experience or confidence.

They are creating a need for more in-depth instruction
This is actually a great problem for me! A lot of my regular adult workshop participants have been asking for more in-depth instructions on painting and other artistic subjects like drawing and photography, just to name a couple. Which got me to thinking: If they are asking to learn more than just replicating a painting, there has to be more out there that want to do the same. Right? As a certified art teacher with experience teaching vast mediums and age ranges, I'm totally up for expanding people's knowledge in the art world!

In order to address these issues, I will be offering more in-depth painting classes for those interested in investing the time and effort it takes to truly learn how to paint. It will be structured as a small group lesson where students will be painting images of their choosing. I will guide the group both collectively and independently to a successful completion of an acrylic painting.

For more information and to sign up to be notified when I will be offering these painting classes, please click here

No comments:

Post a Comment